What is it?
Invisible, volatile substances found in common household products, e.g., felt tip markers, spray paint, air freshener, typewriter correction fluid, butane, computer cleaners, glue. Includes more than 1,000 products that are harmful when inhaled.
Huff, Rush, Whippets, Gluey
How is it used?
• Inhaled through nose or mouth
• Huffing inhalant-soaked rag stuffed in mouth
• Inhaling from balloon with nitrous oxide
• Sniffing or snorting the substance from a container or dispenser
• Inhaling fumes from substances in a bag
How does it affect the body?
- Slight stimulation, feeling less inhibition, loss of consciousness
- Damages sections of brain controlling thinking, moving, seeing
- Slurred speech, loss of coordination, euphoria, dizziness
- Long term use may cause damage to nervous system and organs
- Sudden sniffing death may occur from suffocation or asphyxiation